I really felt like making something sweet today, so I decided to try out Beetroot Brownies! I’ve made these once before and loved them so much. The brownies are crunchy on the outside, and have a mousse/soft middle which for me is the perfect brownie.
Putting vegetables into desserts is quite a new craze, but i personally love it. For me, I feel like i’m eating healthily when I have these because they have vegetables in that you can’t taste! If you would like to see more desserts made with vegetables in then let me know!
For this recipe, you will need…
- 450g-500g of Beetroot (Either fresh or tinned)
- 3 eggs
- 100-200g of caster sugar (depending on how sweet you would like it)
- 100g of butter (I use an olive oil based dairy free one)
- 100-200g of chocolate of your choice (70% cocoa or higher)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 100g of gluten free plain flour
- 25g of cocoa powder
- Place your oven to 180c fan, or 160 gas mark 4.
- Beetroot- If using canned, pour out all the beetroot juice and place the beetroot into a large glass bowl.
If using fresh beetroot, peel it and cut the beetroot into small cubes, and then place it into a large glass bowl. Once the beetroot is in the glass bowl, pour a little water over, and then cover with cling film and place in the microwave for 2x 4 minute intervals.
- While your beetroot is softening, butter and line a brownie tin, and leave to the side
- Weigh out your butter and chocolate. Cut into small cubes, and then place into your blender, with your teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Remove your beetroot from the microwave (be careful because it is extremely hot!), and drain of any excess liquid through a sieve.
- Place your beetroot in the blender with the butter and chocolate, and pulse it through until all ingredients are mixed. The chocolate and butter will melt from the beetroot.
- While that is pulsing, measure out your caster sugar, and put into a large bowl with your three eggs. Mix this up until all fluffy and pale in a bowl.
- Mix your beetroot mixture in with the egg mixture quickly until all combined.
- Measure out your flour and cocoa powder, and sieve into the beetroot and egg mixture
- Fold the flour into the batter, and then place the batter into the prepared brownie tin
- Cook for 25-25 minutes (depending on your oven) and leave to cool in the tin before cutting 🙂
I hope you liked this!
Have you ever made Beetroot Brownies before?
Love B x