I was craving cheesecake the other day and so I started to search for DF/GF options. To be honest, there weren’t a lot out there, so i’ve improvised with this recipe I’ll share below. It is made with coconut cream as I haven’t found any dairy free alternatives to cream cheese around where I live, but here are some out there! If you find a DF cream cheese, let me know if you’ve baked with it before and what it was like!
For this recipe, you will need….
- 200 grams of gluten free biscuits (any kind you would like)
- 50 grams of butter (I used an olive oil alternative)
- 1x 400ml can of coconut cream (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder
- Pinch of mixed spice
- Some vanilla (vanilla bean grinder/vanilla paste/vanilla extract)
For the base:
- Firstly, grease 5-6 ramekins with your butter alternative and set aside
- Next, you will want to weigh out your 200grams of biscuits. I have used a mix of ginger nuts and shortbread cookies
- Put the biscuits into a bag and crush them with a rolling pin. You can also put them into a food processor (which i personally found a lot easier)
- While you are crushing your biscuits, measure out your 50grams of butter, and melt in the microwave for about 20seconds (if it hasn’t melted after 20 seconds, put butter back in microwave for a further 10 seconds until melted)
- Mix the crushed biscuits into the melted butter mixture until the mixture sticks to each other, and place equally into the bottom of each of the prepared ramekins
- Place the prepared base mixture into the fridge
Now on to the filling:
With your base mixture setting in the fridge you can move onto the filling
In the picture above you will see that the coconut cream can is upside down. This is a very important step. Place your coconut cream can upside down in the fridge the night before you would like to make this recipe. This helps to seperate the water form the cream mixture easily, leaving us with the beautiful coconut cream.
- Scrape the water away from the coconut cream in the can, and place your coconut cream into a big mixing bowl
- Add your cacao powder, mixed spice, and vanilla. (i used a vanilla bean grinder so i put quite a lot in to try and get the flavour. If you are using vanilla extract, use 1 teaspoon, and vanilla paste, 1/2teaspoon -1teaspoon).
- Now you will need a handheld mix, and beat your cream with the dry ingredients until all mixed in together. If you do not have a hand held mix, a wooden spoon will do the trick just fine too!
- Take your ramekins out of the fridge, and spoon your creamed mixture into each of the ramekins evenly.
- Sprinkle a little of the mixed spice, vanilla, or cacao (whichever you prefer) over each of the cheesecakes and set back in the fridge for 2-4 hours until set.
- These will be okay for up to 3 days covered in the fridge
200 grams of biscuits
50 grams of butter
Adding all of the spices to the coconut cream
Hope you enjoyed this!
Have you made any GF/DF recipes lately?
Love B x